Thursday, January 28, 2010

I just had breakfast with my Mom...

"How can that be?!" you ask, "your Mom passed away 9 years ago!" Well, I just re-lived a lovely breakfast with my Mom channeled through the most amazing sticky buns I have eaten in years!

My Mom was not a great cook. I remember lots of goulash, and samon patties with the little round bones in them. Succotash. Canned vegetables. Not much stellar food on a day-to day- basis. I mean, you gotta understand. She had 4 hungry kids. a husband with a big appetite and a limited budget. You go with bulk and economy. As an adult, I can understand this.

BUT, she did know how to bake and to make specialty items. Some of my fondest food memories come from my Mom who couldn't really cook that well. One of those was Sticky Buns. Light, delicate, airy cinnamon rolls covered in gooey carmel and pecans! Mmmm you could taste the buttery carmel since it stuck to your teeth. But you didnt want to brush your teeth and waste all that goodness.

I have found a clone of my Mom's sticky buns right here in River City, I'm telling you boys! A litte place in Hesperia called The Cinnamon Roll Lady. Its on Main Street (760) 792-8119 place your order and you too can have breakfast with my Mom.

I'd post a picture of the lovely edibles, but I ate it all. There is always tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. You're spot on about mom's lack of cooking expertize.. But oh my.. those buns and of course the cutout cookies,chestnut dressing.. yum.. Looking forward to my next visit and a shared breakfast with you and mama.

    ReplyDelete